Emotions of Adoption
Is It Hard to “Give a Baby Up” for Adoption?
The question, “Is giving a baby up for adoption hard?” always has two answers: Yes and no. Here’s why.
The process itself is very simple. The emotions of adoption are harder.
Many expectant parents worry, “How complicated is giving up a child for adoption?” Or, “How easy is the process of putting a baby up for adoption?”
- You learn about your three pregnancy options
,and decide whether adoption is right for you in your situation.
- You contact a licensed adoption agency.
- You work with your personal adoption professional to create a plan that you feel comfortable with, including talking about what you’re looking for in the ideal adoptive family for your baby.
- Based on your preferences, your adoption professional helps you consider potential adoptive parents, and then you choose the family you feel is right for your baby.
- You’ll be able to get to know the adoptive family you’ve chosen leading up until your due date.
- Once you’ve given birth, you’ll wait a minimum period of time (per your state laws) before you can offer your legal consent to the adoption and permanently relinquish your parental rights to your baby’s adoptive family. Up until you issue your legal consent, you still have the right to change your mind — after that, your choice is final.
- You can maintain contact with your child and his or her family throughout the years to whatever extent you feel comfortable with.
That’s it. Not as complicated as you thought?
If you’re still wondering, “How easy is putting a baby up for adoption?” just remember that you won’t be going through the process on your own. When you contact an adoption agency, you’ll be given an attorney to walk you through ,everything that’s happening legally, and you’ll also have a social worker to walk you through each step (and the emotions you might experience) as you move forward.
You don’t have to go through this alone.
When pregnant women ask, “Is it difficult to give a child up for adoption?” or, “Is it hard to give your baby up for adoption?” they’re often concerned about the emotional difficulties they may face in making this choice.
But she will almost always continue, “It was also the right decision.”
The emotions of placing a baby for adoption are always complex, and often painful. However, if you feel that adoption is the right choice in your situation, you’ll find a sense of peace and healing in knowing that you did everything you could for your child.
Carrying a child for nine months and then placing him or her with their family is never emotionally easy. Many birth mothers say they felt things like:
- And other difficult emotions
However, they also said that they felt:
- And other positive emotions
The combination of happiness and sadness many women feel when they place a child for adoption is complex. But you will never have to go through this emotional journey on your own.
When you contact an adoption agency, you will receive free counseling and support before, during and after the adoption process. Many agencies offer counseling services around the clock, so you can talk to someone anytime you need to.
How the Right Adoption Agency Makes Adoption as Easy as Possible
However, even the support of the best adoption agencies can’t make the emotional aspect of placing a child for adoption easy. But their support and help does make it survivable, so you can move forward toward the hope, healing and happiness that you deserve.
- 24/7 availability for support and help
- Free representation from an adoption attorney, to walk you through each legal step
- Free medical care, to guide you through pregnancy, childbirth and postpartum care
- Free counseling services, available before, during and after the adoption
- Free help finding the adoptive parents you’re looking for, and help in getting to know them
- Free and continued support after the adoption, to help you maintain contact with your child and to help you process your post-adoption emotions
When you ask, “is giving your child up for adoption hard?” remember that working with the right adoption agency will always make it as easy as it can be.
Contact a Professional Now to Learn More or Get Started
Still not sure about the answer to, “How easy is it to give up a child for adoption?”
Reach out to a licensed adoption professional now to learn more about the process of placing a baby for adoption, and about the emotional support they offer throughout that process and beyond. They’ll be able to offer you personalized information based on your unique situation, and they can help you get started with the adoption process whenever you’re ready.
Ready to get started? Contact an adoption agency now to get free information.